If y’all like French toast, you’re going to want to learn to make this bread. It is not as hard as it seems, and it makes the best French toast. You may want to check out the many YouTube videos on how to braid it in different ways. I went with the very easiest for my first try. I hope y’all enjoy this recipe.
- 1/2 cup very warm water
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast (or 1 package)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk (reserve the white for the egg wash)
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- Place the water in the bowl of your stand mixer and sprinkle the yeast over top. Let proof for 10 minutes.
- Add the flours, sugar, salt, whole eggs, egg yolk, and olive oil and mix on low until combined.
- Turn speed to medium and knead 5-7 minutes. The dough should be mostly smooth, elastic, and only slightly tacky.
- Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl and cover. Place in a warm place to rise (about 1 hour).
- Press down on the dough to deflate and then cover, letting rise until doubled again (about 45 minutes).
- Pull off 1/3 of the dough (you can weight this to be exact), set aside, and cover.
- Divide the remaining piece of dough into 3 equal balls.
- Roll each ball on a lightly floured countertop until you have thin, round strip of doughs ~16 inches long.
- Pinch one end of the dough strips together and braid, pinching the end together when finished.
- Divide the smaller piece of reserved dough into 3 balls and roll and create a second braid.
- Whisk the reserved egg white with 1 Tbsp of water and lightly brush the top of the large braid.
- Set the smaller braid on top of the larger bread. Cover loosely and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375. Brush entire loaf with egg white and bake for ~30 minutes, until dark brown.
1,132 total views, 5 views today