There is nothing better on a sandwich (or anything for that matter) than bacon. So for a quick Saturday lunch sandwich I decided to make a fried green tomato and bacon sandwich. I saw a beautiful loaf of Chicago Italian Bread at the market this morning so after grabbing that I decided this extra special bread needed an extra special taste. So I whipped up a chipotle cream sauce (recipe below) to take it over the top.
What you’ll need:
- 2 green tomatoes sliced and fried (Fried Green Tomatoes)
- 6 strips thick sliced bacon – cooked
- 1 loaf fresh rustic bread (slice thick)
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons Chipotle Cream Sauce (recipe below)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
Slice your loaf of rustic bread about 1-1 1/2 inches thick. Spread each side with mayonnaise and grill till browned on each side. Layer 2-3 green tomatoes over bread and drizzle with chipotle sauce. Sprinkle with crumbled feta and top with 2 or 3 slices of bacon.
For Chipotle Cream Sauce:
- Butter 2 Tablespoons
- Garlic clove, minced
- Chipotle in Adobo, pureed about 1 1/2 Tablespoons
- Heavy Cream 1 cup
- Whole milk 1/4 cup
- Salt 1/2 teaspoon
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Once melted, add the garlic and cook slowly until tender. Be careful not to burn the garlic, watch closely.
- Add chipotle puree and the cream, heating slowly.
- Mix in the milk. Simmer on low heat until reduced to create a thick sauce.
- Add salt to taste and keep sauce warm while preparing sandwich.
946 total views, 1 views today