Johnny Cash’s sister Joanne presents his family-style chili recipe.
- 5 pounds sirloin steak, chopped
- 3 pkgs. chili seasoning mix
- 3–4 15-oz. cans red kidney beans
- 3–4 16-oz. cans whole tomatoes
- seasoning to taste
- Sage leaves
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Salt to taste
- Chopped onions
- Chili peppers
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- Chili powder
- Chili con carne seasoning
- 1 can tomato paste
- Brown the meat with a little shortening until medium. Add chili seasoning and cook 5 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes, spices to taste, onions, chili peppers to taste, sugar, chili powder and/or chili con carne seasoning to taste. (If chili is too hot, add 1 to 2 cans tomatoes.) Add tomato paste.
- If chili seems too thick, add water. Simmer on low for 20 minutes.
1,874 total views, 3 views today