I like to make it year round, but especially during Mardi Gras…..ENJOY
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped in 1” squares
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds sausage, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices ( I buy the spicy links) (I prefer Purnell’s “Old Folks” Sausage)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 lb of Shrimp
- 1 large tomato diced small (or 1 large can diced tomatoes)
- 1 large green or red bell pepper, diced bite size
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 2 small cans red beans
- 3 cups rice ( I use family size yellow rice)
- 8 cups chicken stock ( I like to make mine fresh and freeze for just this recipe)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Hot sauce to taste.
1. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat,brown the chicken and season with salt pepper.
2. Add sausage and cook, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes or until browned add the onion and bell pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
3. Add garlic and rice; cook, stirring constantly for approximately 2 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes, ground red pepper, paprika and chili powder.
4. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes, add the shrimp and beans and simmer another 5-10 minutes or until rice is tender and all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5 minutes.
5. add hot sauce to taste individually.
459 total views, 2 views today