Here is my moms mouth-watering recipe for Southern Potato Salad your family will love. I can not imagine a picnic without this side dish. Be sure to serve it cold and keep it refrigerated since it contains mayonnaise and can spoil if left out too long.
The recipe serves 6-8. If you want a smaller portion just half the ingredients. To adjust yield, allow 1 large or 1 and 1/2 medium potato per person.
* 8 Large (or 10 medium) potatoes
* 1 cup mayonnaise
* 1/2 cup sour cream
* 1/4 cup chopped celery
* 1/4 cup chopped onion
* 2 tsp sweet relish
* 1 tsp mustard
* 1/4 lb cooked bacon, crumbled
* 3 hard boiled eggs
* 1 tsp celery seed
* 1/2 tsp garlic powder
* 1/4 tsp dill weed
* 1/4 tsp paprika
* salt to taste
* pepper to taste
1. Peel potatoes and cut into large bite sized chunks.
2. Boil potatoes until a fork pushed in a potato goes in with a slight resistance. Do not over cook. Set aside and allow to cool.
3. Add all other ingredients, except eggs and paprika, and mix thoroughly. Mix gently to avoid ending up with mashed potatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste as you mix.
4. Garnish top with sliced boiled eggs and sprinkle lightly with paprika.
Remember to taste as you go with the salt and pepper and do not overdo the paprika, it’s only there for appearance and subtle flavor.